1A portion of territory within or surrounded by a larger territory whose inhabitants are culturally or ethnically distinct.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Deep suspicions and fears continue to divide the people into ethnic enclaves.
- Should we instead be encouraging the foundation of a series of autonomous, loosely interdependent ethnic enclaves?
- For example, not all immigrants resided in ethnic enclaves close to ethnic retail outlets.
1.1A place or group that is different in character from those surrounding it: the engineering department is traditionally a male enclave
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- However, while large parts of the world continue to be enclaves of extreme hardship and poverty, despair will take root.
- The novella is about masculine middle-age, with Victorian males hurrying into their enclaves or laboratories to escape all kinds of ever-present threats, such as the new woman.
- Some people decamp to quieter beautiful places, enclaves still not discovered, off the beaten path.
Mid 19th century: from French, from Old French enclaver 'enclose, dovetail', based on Latin clavis 'key'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: en·clave
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda