Definición de entropy en inglés:
1 Physics A thermodynamic quantity representing the unavailability of a system’s thermal energy for conversion into mechanical work, often interpreted as the degree of disorder or randomness in the system. (Symbol: S)
- Despite the large increase in enthalpy and entropy, the free energy difference between the closed and open conformations is relatively small.
- The enthalpy, entropy, and free energy changes in the opening reaction of each basepair are determined from the temperature dependence of the exchange rates.
- In Chapter 3 we discussed how the thermodynamic arrow of entropy increase is a reflection of the relative probabilities of various states.
2Lack of order or predictability; gradual decline into disorder: a marketplace where entropy reigns supreme
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He was unable to arrest the gradual entropy that had set in.
- People have a natural tendency to rebel against entropy to return order to their environments.
- Patrick's final resting place wasn't quite as romantic as she'd envisioned it, but after a day in this town where entropy seemed to reign unchecked, she was unsurprised.
3(In information theory) a logarithmic measure of the rate of transfer of information in a particular message or language.
- These functions range from simple bookkeeping tasks to serious number-crunching algorithms such as deconvolution, maximum entropy, Fourier transforms and more.
- But no serious scientist would expect that such a thing were possible, for the simple reason that it would be a violation of the fundamental principles of entropy / information theory.
- Information, entropy, and computation become metaphors for us at a much broader level.
- Example sentences
- In keeping with the general entropic tendency of the universe, all my futile efforts at gathering and retaining, my naïve tendency toward nest-egging, fly directly in the face of the entire universe itself!
- The other problem with paranoia is that it tends to become exhausting being so cynical and suspicious and any entropic system needs a continuous input of energy to continue working rather than excessive expenditures.
- By tending towards the whole, it is possible to conceptualize the equalizing of difference in a fully entropic global communication system.
- Example sentences
- The decondensation is entropically driven due to the higher number of ligand binding sites in decondensed DNA in comparison with the condensed molecules.
- Furthermore, as the DNA unbinds entropically at extensions before the overstretching transition, these calculations predict that the plateau will not be seen in the force-extension curves for a dodecamer, as is indeed the case.
- The extent to which the DNA binding of a given protein will be enthalpically or entropically driven is a function of solution conditions, such as temperature, salt concentration, pH, etc.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan