sustantivo (plural igual or ermines)
- 1A stoat, especially when in its white winter coat.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Predators of erethizontids include mustelids such as martens, minks, wolverines, ermine, weasels, and fishers.
- Vikka is quick to identify the tracks of wolverine, fox and ermine.
- Arctic foxes, short-tailed weasels and ermines are some of the smaller carnivores found here.
- 1.1The white fur of the stoat, used for trimming garments, especially the ceremonial robes of judges or peers.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In bygone days many stoats were slaughtered to provide skins for ermine robes.
- On this throne sat a very distinguished-looking man dressed in a royal blue velvet robe trimmed with ermine over his tuxedo.
- The robe is trimmed with ermine, which is the white winter coat of the stoat in northern regions of Europe.
- 1.2 Heraldry Fur represented as black spots on a white ground, as a heraldic tincture.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The coat of arms of the former duchy of Brittany is "Ermine", one of very few coats that are of one tincture only.
- The coloring scheme of ermine can also be changed.
- 2 (also ermine moth) A stout-bodied moth that has cream or white wings with black spots, and a very hairy caterpillar.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Family Arctiidae: several genera and species
- One teacher thought the caterpillars might belong to silk ermine moths, but we're not sure.
- The buff ermine moth is so called because of its buff colouring.
- The apple small ermine moth causes more or less serious defoliation at the tips of branches of apple trees.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And, in fairness to those ermined aristocrats, they could afford contempt.
- If he has any brains at all, he'll make a speech this week telling these ermined layabouts to go climb a tree.
- I do think, however that a ballot on the suitability of some newly ermined people would debar some before the ermine was purchased.
Middle English: from Old French hermine, probably from medieval Latin (mus) Armenius 'Armenian (mouse)'.
Más definiciones de ermineDefinición de ermine en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional