An acute, sometimes recurrent disease caused by a bacterial infection. It is characterized by large, raised red patches on the skin, especially that of the face and legs, with fever and severe general illness.
- This is caused by Streptococcus pyogenes, a Gram-positive coccus
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Common skin infections include cellulitis, erysipelas, impetigo, folliculitis, and furuncles and carbuncles.
- It was this analogy that drove him on to study cholera, anthrax, erysipelas and finally rabies, culminating in the development of the rabies vaccine.
- Billroth, a German surgeon, is credited with first identifying, in 1874, streptococci isolated from a patient with erysipelas, which was a very common disease in that time, but rare today.
late Middle English: via Latin from Greek erusipelas; perhaps related to eruthros 'red' and pella 'skin'.
Definición de erysipelas en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional