1Used in the names of hotels, newspapers, and other products to indicate superior quality: they stayed at the Excelsior
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The news of the fabulous wealth of the Klondike creeks had broken only in mid-July, when the steamers Excelsior and Portland reached San Francisco and Seattle, respectively, with the first miners who had ‘struck it rich.’
- Meanwhile, you're theoretically defending the Excelsior, which rarely defends itself for some reason, and its shields are made of laughter and kisses.
- The group has bought the Excelsior, takes over the Grumpy Mole in December, owns the Loaded Hog, Shooters and is setting up a club in the old Money Club Building next door.
1.1North American Softwood shavings used for packing fragile goods or stuffing furniture.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The roots are rolled tightly, like a cigarette, in excelsior and plastic to keep the roots moist until planting time.
- Then I demonstrate with some materials in front of the class, capturing their attention by telling them, ‘There's a little puppy in this excelsior.’
- For instance, my dream is to wrap myself as a birthday present, pack myself in excelsior and ship myself to Greenland - collect!
Late 18th century (as an exclamation): from Latin, comparative of excelsus, from ex- 'out, beyond' + celsus 'lofty'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: ex·cel·si·or
Definición de excelsior en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda