A type of vault consisting of a set of concave ribs spreading out from a central point like the ribs of an opened umbrella, used especially in the English Perpendicular style.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Inside is a fan vault of 1529, an especially fine roof, and monuments to the second and third dukes of York of 1573.
- Decoration was now concentrated English-style in roof vaulting, culminating in the fan vaults of Hereford's chapter house (now destroyed) and the cloisters at Gloucester, which were built after 1351.
- The chapel is noted for its fine carving and fan vaults. ... These fan vaults once had hanging pendants. Traces of paint are still visible on some of them.
fan vaulting sustantivo
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Inside the Abbey, the stained glass windows enchanted us, the delicate fan vaulting of the ceiling, and the museum in the basement.
- St George's chapel, Windsor - which has long served as the last resting place of sovereigns - was begun by Edward IV in 1475 and is notable for its fan vaulting, monuments, stalls, and stained glass.
- Begun about 1475 it was completed some fifty years later, and was funded partly by the royal purse and partly by Knights of the Garter whose arms figure in its fan vaulting.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: fan vault
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda