- A tiny Old World wasp that lays its eggs inside the flower of the wild fig. It was introduced into the New World to effect cross-fertilization of the cultivated fig.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Blastophaga psenes, family Agaonidae, superfamily Chalcidoidea
- It is remarkable that in the 4th century bc both Aristotle and Theophrastus realized the need for the flower to be visited by the tiny fig wasp if the fruit were to form and not merely fall off.
- In both ants and fig wasps, male morphology and the place of mating are not completely linked.
- The team used a model based on known coevolved relationships between organisms such as fig trees and the fig wasps that pollinate them, and parasitic butterflies and their host ants.
Más definiciones de fig waspDefinición de fig wasp en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional