Definición de fort en inglés:
- This period saw the establishment of a number of strongly defended forts on strategically placed high points all over the region.
- In the 1960s, many of the old coastal forts were turned over to the National Park Service.
- Archaeologists have identified one of Britain's largest prehistoric hill forts in the North Yorkshire Moors.
- Army forts and posts, crucial to the defense and settlement of the frontier, dominated the region's social and economic life.
- The former Army coastal defense fort, built in 1942, sits in second-growth forest about two miles north of Coupeville.
- A Pakistani army fort stands where the young Winston Churchill shot down rebels.
hold the fort
- see hold1.
forge from Middle English:
In early use, to forge meant not only to work metal but also had the general sense ‘make, construct’. The word comes from Latin fabricare ‘to fabricate’, from fabrica ‘manufactured object, workshop’ source of fabric. The sense ‘make a fraudulent imitation’ arose early in the word's history. Forge as in forge ahead is a different word. It was first used of ships and may be a variant of force (Middle English) which comes from Latin fortis ‘strong’, source also of fort (Late Middle English).
Palabras que riman con fortabort, apport, assort, athwart, aught, besought, bethought, bort, bought, brought, caught, cavort, comport, consort, contort, Cort, court, distraught, escort, exhort, export, extort, fought, fraught, import, methought, misreport, mort, naught, nought, Oort, ought, outfought, port, Porte, purport, quart, rort, short, snort, sort, sought, sport, support, swart, taught, taut, thought, thwart, tort, transport, wart, wrought
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.