verbo (fortifies, fortifying, fortified)[with object]
- 1Strengthen (a place) with defensive works so as to protect it against attack: the whole town was heavily fortified (as adjective fortified) a fortified manor houseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- He immediately set up a defensive perimeter and fortified his area.
- I came in from the sides like a well drilled eighteenth century army attacking some fortified town in the Low Countries.
- Achieving both can fortify a region militarily and put its economy on par with the world's best.
- 1.1Strengthen or invigorate (someone) mentally or physically: I was fortified by the knowledge that I was in a sympathetic houseMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Teaching involved so much giving out, and the painting returned to Bill a strength that fortified him for his teaching.
- This power surged from his heart and dispersed to every cell in his body: it fortified him by strengthening his stamina, and increasing his reflexes.
- After this brief meeting, we were fortified with some basic knowledge about our surroundings, and we were able to forge ahead to explore on our own.
- 1.2 (often as adjective fortified) Strengthen (a drink) with alcohol: fortified wineMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Depending on the style of the wine, sherry is fortified with grape spirit known as aguardiente to between 15.5 and 22 per cent.
- The family of sweet fortified wines include Port, Madeira, Malmsey, Vermouth and Muscat de Beaumes de Venise.
- Spirit or fortified wine is heated gently (in a ladle or small pan) until the alcohol it contains begins to vaporize, then ignited, poured over the food, and allowed to burn.
- 1.3Increase the nutritive value of (food), especially with vitamins.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Because many American foods are fortified with vitamin A, deficiency is very rare in individuals who do not have certain chronic intestinal illnesses.
- The body more readily absorbs folic acid from vitamin supplements and fortified foods than folate from food.
- Margarine is fortified with added vitamins A and D to bring their levels up to those naturally present in butter.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Distance from the likely west coast anchorage to the fortifiable peninsula is about 25 nautical miles.
- School based screening, usually performed by a school nurse, is a fortifiable process for mass screening.
- If this meant the relinquishment of territory to achieve dominant and fortifiable terrain and features, so be it.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In fact, according to the country's regulations on food fortifiers, milk is not on the list of those foods to which calcium can be legally added.
- Mother's milk alone cannot meet all the nutrient needs of very low birthweight infants, and therefore the addition of a commercial human milk fortifier during early life is recommended.
- Mix the grout with a mixture of 50/50 water and grout fortifier.
late Middle English: from French fortifier, from late Latin fortificare, from Latin fortis 'strong'.