Definición de furbelow en inglés:
1.1 (furbelows) Showy ornaments or trimmings: frills and furbelows just made her look stupid
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This evening, gift wrapping a couple of small presents for Graham's birthday, tomorrow, I had to give up on the frills and furbelows and resort to plain old parcel wrapping, and none too tidily at that.
- In his book on orchids he documents the elaborate frills and furbelows, gimmicks and traps, that lure and exploit insect pollinators, thereby ensuring cross-fertilization.
verbo[with object] (usually as adjective furbelowed) literary Volver al principio
Adorn with trimmings.
- The desserts seem steadier, although they, too, succumb to major-league busyness, being garnished and furbelowed to a fare-thee-well.
- Zoffany's painting of Mrs Oswald shows a lemon-lipped, bored-looking woman trussed in a furbelowed dress.
- In chests in the attic are furbelowed skirts of her great-grandmother's day, the day when her set of six chairs, delicately designed by a colonial craftsman, made a wedding present for her ancestor.
late 17th century: from French falbala 'trimming, flounce', of unknown ultimate origin.
Definición de furbelow en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary