Definición de gainsay en inglés:
verbo (past and past participle gainsaid)[with object with negative] formal
1Deny or contradict (a fact or statement): the impact of the railroads cannot be gainsaid
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- I'm not denying or gainsaying the fact that one could make a case.
- These revisionists could not of course ultimately gainsay the fact that France was defeated.
- In an era in which the very power of national governments of reformist pedigree to deliver reforms is under question, Labour gainsays the question.
1.1Speak against or oppose (someone).
Oraciones de ejemplo
- My warnings over the last six years had been so numerous, so detailed, and were now so terribly vindicated, that no one could gainsay me.
- He had a hot temper and a weekly column in which he could publicly tear to shreds anyone who dared gainsay him or meddle with his works.
- The extremist can always argue that he is the better Muslim that the moderate - and no one can gainsay him.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The Pope's funeral illustrated just how important religion still is to us all, whatever the gainsayers would have you believe
- And with God as his ally, he can face the multitude of enemies and gainsayers who threaten him everywhere.
- The phlegmatic attitude of continental Europeans to the euro puts British gainsayers to shame
Middle English: from obsolete gain- 'against' + say.
Palabras que riman con gainsayaffray, agley, aka, allay, Angers, A-OK, appellation contrôlée, array, assay, astray, au fait, auto-da-fé, away, aweigh, aye, bay, belay, betray, bey, Bombay, Bordet, boulevardier, bouquet, brae, bray, café au lait, Carné, cassoulet, Cathay, chassé, chevet, chez, chiné, clay, convey, Cray, crème brûlée, crudités, cuvée, cy-pres, day, decay, deejay, dégagé, distinguée, downplay, dray, Dufay, Dushanbe, eh, embay, engagé, essay, everyday, faraway, fay, fey, flay, fray, Frey, fromage frais, Gaye, Genet, giclee, gilet, glissé, gray, grey, halfway, hay, heigh, hey, hooray, Hubei, Hué, hurray, inveigh, jay, jeunesse dorée, José, Kay, Kaye, Klee, Kray, Lae, lay, lei, Littré, Lough Neagh, lwei, Mae, maguey, Malay, Mallarmé, Mandalay, Marseilles, may, midday, midway, mislay, misplay, Monterrey, Na-Dene, nay, né, née, neigh, Ney, noway, obey, O'Dea, okay, olé, outlay, outplay, outstay, outweigh, oyez, part-way, pay, Pei, per se, pince-nez, play, portray, pray, prey, purvey, qua, Quai d'Orsay, Rae, rangé, ray, re, reflet, relevé, roman-à-clef, Santa Fé, say, sei, Shar Pei, shay, slay, sleigh, sley, spae, spay, Spey, splay, spray, stay, straightaway, straightway, strathspey, stray, Sui, survey, sway, Taipei, Tay, they, today, tokay, Torbay, Tournai, trait, tray, trey, two-way, ukiyo-e, underlay, way, waylay, Wei, weigh, wey, Whangarei, whey, yea
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda