- 1An armed police officer in France and other French-speaking countries.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It was also common to see the jeeps of the island's French gendarmes (military police) speeding by on the road loaded down with confiscated marijuana plants in the back.
- There are several police forces, including internal security police, gendarmes, and military police.
- Government is in the last resort the employment of armed men, of policemen, gendarmes, soldiers, prison guards, and hangmen.
mid 16th century (originally denoting a mounted officer in the French army): French, from gens d'armes 'men of arms'. sense 1 dates from the late 18th century.
Más definiciones de gendarmeDefinición de gendarme en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional