Definición de giant en inglés:
1An imaginary or mythical being of human form but superhuman size.
- Along the north-west coast of Britain, megalithic sites were commonly associated with mythical giants or were giants turned to stone.
- They include goblins, vampires, werewolves, giants, trolls, centaurs, and many more.
- There are stories of mythical fish, giants, time-warped towns, war heroics and bank robberies.
1.1An abnormally tall or large person, animal, or plant.
- We hired horses and rode, as Paddy did, between tall forest giants, listening to the jungle buzz and background twitterings.
- Historic parkland in North Yorkshire is now home to some gentle giants of the animal kingdom - a herd of North American bison.
- Not even the tallest of giants could climb over it, as the arch was directly connected to the ceiling.
1.2A very large company or organization.
- In the global South, however, higher risk and lower rates of return mean that the water giants require massive public financing to make privatization work.
- These companies are stock market giants which can turn huge profits on their products, but they do not face the same outright opposition.
- There, Chandler concluded that the management of corporate giants had superseded market mechanisms as the defining element of economic activity.
1.3A person of exceptional talent or qualities: a giant among sportsmen
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He moved quietly among established giants, even though his own talent outstripped that of nearly everyone he played with or against.
- Dawson, who died in 1970, was once hailed as a giant among historians and philosophers of history, but is almost forgotten today.
- The intellectual giants of history may not all have been happy men, but they were all successful men.
2 Astronomy A star of relatively great size and luminosity compared to ordinary stars of the main sequence, and 10-100 times the diameter of the sun.
- The new Arae Neptune shares the star with two Jovian giants discovered by Butler and company in 2001.
- Like all the other identified extra-solar planets, the body found orbiting the star in the constellation Lyra is a giant.
adjetivo[attributive] Volver al principio
1Of very great size or force; gigantic: giant multinational corporations a giant transport plane a giant meteorite
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The workers are showing their determination to force the giant transport firm to give them a decent rise.
- And I have always been impressed with the immense pride the station's men and women take in the maintenance and efficiency of the giant transport planes.
- Every giant multinational corporation was a seed once.
huge, colossal, massive, enormous, gigantic, very big, mammoth, vast, immense, monumental, mountainous, titanic, towering, elephantine, king-size(d), economy-size(d), gargantuan, Brobdingnagian;
1.1Used in names of very large animals and plants, e.g., giant hogweed, giant tortoise.
- In the classroom, they explored the life cycle of the giant moth, tadpoles' transformation into frogs, and plant growth.
- From these reptiles would come some of the greatest creatures in the history of earth; the Tyrannosaurus Rex and the giant sauropods, to name a few.
- This mixture is based on black salt and asefetida, a resin obtained from the rhizome of the giant fennel plant that has a strong odor of onion and garlic.
- Example sentences
- Unfortunately, Mike is caught by Dr. Badham, and his assistant Angus, a giantlike man with a child's mind.
- He describes their thoughts as giantlike and godlike, stressing the manhood he sees in simply thinking rather than doing.
- I do not know what it was that ailed me, but I was prepared to be alarmed, when of a surety I saw something standing in the hedge, ghastly, giantlike, and with outstretched arms.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia