1A small two-winged fly that resembles a mosquito. Gnats include both biting and nonbiting forms, and they typically form large swarms.
- Several families, including Simuliidae (black flies) and Ceratopogonidae
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Included among the invertebrates are moth flies, wood gnats, midges, punkies, mosquitoes, marsh beetles, and beelike or wasplike syrphid flies.
- The Diptera include files, mosquitoes, gnats, midges, and no-see-ums.
- The swarms of gnats and mosquitoes were annoying, but augured well for our hopes of spotting tiny bug-eating birds.
1.1A person or thing seen as tiny or insignificant, especially in comparison with something larger or more important: I was only a gnat in the affair
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Some issues present all the appearances of being designed to separate the gnats from the gadflies, and this is such a one.
- Why Pagels happily swallows this camel while straining out the gnats of the creed is a mystery.
- In fact, neither Cathy nor Frank express anything that might resemble an emotion until their bedroom door is locked and the neighbourhood of gossiping gnats is safely locked out of the hidden desperation of their unhappy marriage.
Old English gnætt, of Germanic origin; related to German Gnitze.
Palabras que riman con gnatat, bat, brat, cat, chat, cravat, drat, expat, fat, flat, frat, gat, hat, hereat, high-hat, howzat, lat, mat, matt, matte, Montserrat, Nat, outsat, pat, pit-a-pat, plait, plat, prat, Rabat, rat, rat-tat, Sadat, sat, scat, Sebat, shabbat, shat, skat, slat, spat, splat, sprat, stat, Surat, tat, that, thereat, tit-for-tat, vat, whereat
Definición de gnat en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda