Definición de goon en inglés:
- I enjoyed these comparisons, and chuckled heartily at the thought of all the pasty faced goons queuing for minging breakfast rolls along the M50.
- A CD disc changer has replaced the DJ tonight and the local musicians who made up a large part of the clientele have been replaced by college goons slurping up their student loans.
- We got her all established, then sat around for at least forty-five minutes like the goons we are, grinning and commenting on her every action.
- A network built upon trust and cooperation comes crashing down when thugs and goons roll through the neighborhood.
- Mobbed wherever she goes and forced to travel everywhere with a squad of security goons, on one occasion the California Highway Patrol had to close an entire section of freeway to let her car escape pursuing fans.
- When we mouth off or botch it, they see us as the Dalton Boys, bullying goons who never learn.
mid 19th century: perhaps from dialect gooney 'booby'; influenced by the subhuman cartoon character 'Alice the Goon', created by E. C. Segar (1894–1938), American cartoonist.
To most people a goon is associated with the creators of the radio comedy series The Goon Show in 1951. The original sense of the word was ‘a stupid or hapless person’—it came from the name of the US cartoon character Alice the Goon, created by the cartoonist E. C. Segar ( 1894–1938) and appearing in the Popeye strips that also introduced Eugene the Jeep ( see Jeep). Segar probably took the name from the dialect term gooney ‘a simpleton’, recorded from the 1580s. In the USA a goon also became a thug hired to terrorize people, and in the Second World War the term was given by British and US prisoners of war to their German guards.
Words that rhyme with goonafternoon, attune, autoimmune, baboon, balloon, bassoon, bestrewn, boon, Boone, bridoon, buffoon, Cameroon, Cancún, cardoon, cartoon, Changchun, cocoon, commune, croon, doubloon, dragoon, dune, festoon, galloon, harpoon, hoon, immune, importune, impugn, Irgun, jejune, June, Kowloon, lagoon, lampoon, loon, macaroon, maroon, monsoon, moon, Muldoon, noon, oppugn, picayune, platoon, poltroon, pontoon, poon, prune, puccoon, raccoon, Rangoon, ratoon, rigadoon, rune, saloon, Saskatoon, Sassoon, Scone, soon, spittoon, spoon, swoon, Troon, tune, tycoon, typhoon, Walloon
Definición de goon en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.