Definición de grist en inglés:
1Grain that is ground to make flour.
- The reintroduction of a deeply resented tax on grist in the former papal provinces of Emilia and Romagna provoked widespread unrest in the late 1860s.
- Census of 1861 reported that there were 13 flour and grist mills operating in Simcoe County.
- The owners of early 19 th-century New England grist mills were usually rather prosperous men, and like most of the population at that time, the majority were farmers.
2Useful material, especially to back up an argument: the research provided the most sensational grist for opponents of tobacco
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Documents just made public may provide grist for his opponents.
- This subject is interesting grist for graduate seminars, but campus leaders have limited options when faced with a finite budget and rising demand for educational programs and services.
- The primary thrust has been to provide greater grist for litigation, rather than tackling the hard work of defining acceptable conduct.
grist for the mill
- Useful experience, material, or knowledge.Example sentences
- The shape of the market is going to change but this will be more grist to our mill.
- If you can think of any more good ones, then please let me know; it will all be grist to my mill.
- The inevitable violence of their response was grist to his mill.
Definición de grist en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan