Definición de guinea pig en inglés:
1A domesticated, tailless South American cavy, originally raised for food. It no longer occurs in the wild and is now typically kept as a pet or for laboratory research.
- Cavia porcellus, family Caviidae
- The domestic guinea pig, Cavia porcellus, now found worldwide in captivity, has been bred for meat for more than three thousand years in South America.
- A major debate was raised by the claim that ‘the guinea pig is not a rodent’.
- At school, our classroom had a small rodent zoo consisting of two rabbits, three hamsters, a litter of baby gerbils and a guinea pig.
1.1A person or thing used as a subject for experiment.
- Walker volunteered to act as a human guinea pig for these experiments, as did 400m runner Mark Richardson and one other athlete.
- The early study of carbon dioxide also gave rise to the expression to be a guinea pig, meaning to subject oneself to an experiment.
- The worst was when you became a guinea pig for a hazardous experiment, and not even the lightest punishment was endurable.
Definición de guinea pig en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia