Biology Producing two different kinds of spores.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Both of these genera are heterosporous, meaning that each species produces two distinctly different types of spores: microspores and megaspores.
- Therefore, improved sampling and a better understanding of the morphology of fossils with affinities to these families are necessary to understand the origin and evolution of the heterosporous fern clade.
- Some of the large sphenophyte trees of the Paleozoic were heterosporous, producing large megaspores and small microspores, and probably retaining the megaspore in the strobilus.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Order Isoetales and Lepidodendrales are sometimes included in the Subclass Ligulatae - defined by the presence of ligules, heterospory, and endospory.
- Since the ‘seed habit’ begins with the reduction to a single functional megaspore in each megasporangium, heterospory seems like a logical intermediate step.
- According to this argument, heterospory was the intermediate between homosporous free-sporing reproduction and the retained endosporic gametophyte of the seed habit.