Definición de hexameter en inglés:
A line of verse consisting of six metrical feet, especially of six dactyls.
- Most celebrated were the Epodes, songs in simple strophes usually made up of a hexameter or iambic trimeter plus one or two shorter cola.
- For Schlegel, the feet of the hexameter must be of equal length, containing either one long and two short syllables or two long ones.
- Metrically, the ‘Hymn’ justifies Coleridge's claims for the English hexameter.
- Example sentences
- Several English poets have attempted extended composition in hexameters, the dactylic hexameter having been the epic metre of Homer; the hexametric experiments of Clough are among the more successful.
- Perhaps the finest specimen of this hexametric renascence, however, was Charles Kingsley's mythopoetic epyllion Andromeda.
- The original hexametric pace of the verse, as maintained by the German translation, was chosen because of its known ‘feel good’ effects on readers and listeners.
Definición de hexameter en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary