(also hiccough pronounced same)
Definición de hiccup en inglés:
1An involuntary spasm of the diaphragm and respiratory organs, with a sudden closure of the glottis and a characteristic sound like that of a cough.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Everyday hiccups don't need medical treatment, as they will go away on their own.
- The GP will examine you and look particularly for signs of the serious conditions that can cause persistent hiccups, such as an infection of the diaphragm.
- Slowly my sobs subsided and all that was left was my hiccups which sounded off every once and a while.
1.2A temporary or minor difficulty or setback: just a little hiccup in our usual wonderful service
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Overall it was a very successful day as everything went well with only a few minor hiccups and the weather was ideal.
- Jake is back on his feet and is doing well apart from a couple of minor hiccups.
- The data collection for the main study itself went smoothly, with only very minor local hiccups.
verbo (hiccups, hiccuping or hiccupping, hiccuped or hiccupped)[no object] Volver al principio
Suffer from or make the sound of a hiccup or series of hiccups.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Her dark eyes are wide with childish terror, and she hiccups so dramatically that, at first, she cannot speak at all.
- She hiccuped a bit and her voice sounded almost slurred.
- My eyes stung brutally and I started to hiccup.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- ‘I-I-I'm sorry-y,’ she said through a hiccupy breath.
- Edward strokes the back of my hair, shushes my huge hiccupy sobs, and says, ‘Stop it.’
- She was in the throws of those gaspy hiccupy breaths that come after you've had a big overblown crying session.
Late 16th century: imitative; the form hiccough arose by association with cough.
Palabras que riman con hiccuppickup, stick-up
Definición de hiccup en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda