(also hiccough pronounced same)
Definición de hiccup en inglés:
1An involuntary spasm of the diaphragm and respiratory organs, with a sudden closure of the glottis and a characteristic sound like that of a cough.
- Everyday hiccups don't need medical treatment, as they will go away on their own.
- The GP will examine you and look particularly for signs of the serious conditions that can cause persistent hiccups, such as an infection of the diaphragm.
- Slowly my sobs subsided and all that was left was my hiccups which sounded off every once and a while.
1.1 (hiccups) An attack of hiccups occurring repeatedly for some time: he got the hiccups
1.2A temporary or minor difficulty or setback: just a little hiccup in our usual wonderful service
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Overall it was a very successful day as everything went well with only a few minor hiccups and the weather was ideal.
- Jake is back on his feet and is doing well apart from a couple of minor hiccups.
- The data collection for the main study itself went smoothly, with only very minor local hiccups.
verbo (hiccups, hiccuping or hiccupping, hiccuped or hiccupped)[no object] Volver al principio
Suffer from or make the sound of a hiccup or series of hiccups.
- Her dark eyes are wide with childish terror, and she hiccups so dramatically that, at first, she cannot speak at all.
- She hiccuped a bit and her voice sounded almost slurred.
- My eyes stung brutally and I started to hiccup.
late 16th century: imitative; the form hiccough arose by association with cough.
- Example sentences
- ‘I-I-I'm sorry-y,’ she said through a hiccupy breath.
- Edward strokes the back of my hair, shushes my huge hiccupy sobs, and says, ‘Stop it.’
- She was in the throws of those gaspy hiccupy breaths that come after you've had a big overblown crying session.
Definición de hiccup en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan