- 1A chiefly North American tree of the walnut family that yields useful timber and typically bears edible nuts.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Genus Carya, family Juglandaceae: several species, including the shagbark hickory (C. ovata), with shaggy peeling bark. See also pecan, pignut
- In the southern Blue Ridge, the chestnut was replaced largely by oaks and hickories, and also by yellow-poplar, maple, hemlock, and other species, depending on local conditions.
- Snaking across rugged forested land, the trails lead you through a mix of oak, hickory, beech and maple that present a range of almost Eastern-quality fall colors.
- However, Stone envisioned some twenty pieces of furniture - chairs, couches, sofas, benches, stools, screens, and tables - in oak, hickory, and cherry.
late 17th century: abbreviation of pohickery, the local Virginian name, from Algonquian pawcohiccora.
Más definiciones de HickoryDefinición de hickory en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional