Definición de homeosis en inglés:
sustantivo (plural homeoses-ˌsēz)Biology
The replacement of part of one segment of an insect or other segmented animal by a structure characteristic of a different segment, especially through mutation.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Genes identified by such mutations are called homeotic genes because when mutated they result in homeosis - the transformation of a whole segment or structure into another related one, as in the transformation of antenna to leg.
- This research on homeosis was intended to support both his view of genetic structure and his view of evolution.
- However, those experiments show only what morphological changes are possible to manipulate experimentally, not what actually happened in evolution, and one question is why homeosis would occur at all.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The evolution of homeotic mutants, according to Simpson, still depended on selection acting on populations of individuals.
- Thus major changes in body plan are possible over very short time intervals when homeotic, regulatory genes are involved.
- For example, it is becoming clear that co-option has played a critical role in evolution and the homeotic genes are not exempt in this regard.
Late 19th century: from Greek homoiōsis 'becoming like', from homoios 'like'.
Definición de homeosis en:
- Diccionario Inglés británico e internacional
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
= de moda