Each of two or more words spelled the same but not necessarily pronounced the same and having different meanings and origins (e.g., bow1 and bow2).
Oraciones de ejemplo
- They may, however, be put off by homographs and polysemous words, such as the various uses of ‘bank’ and ‘crane’.
- But there are huge numbers of homophones that are also homographs: pen ‘writing implement’, pen ‘enclosure for animals’, and pen ‘penitentiary’, to choose a textbook example.
- Other homographs have known to cause problems even for native speakers.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The book ignores such words as ball, bound, and plane, which are both homophonic and homographic.
- Homographic puns make use of multiple meanings from a single spelling (e.g., ‘pen’ for writing instrument or animal enclosure).
Definición de homograph en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda