Definición de hypercorrection en inglés:
The erroneous use of a word form or pronunciation based on a false analogy with a correct or prestigious form, such as between you and I for the standard between you and me.
- It's interesting that everyone, prescriptivists and anti-prescriptivists alike, seems to think that hypercorrection is wrong, morally as well as logically.
- It's clearly not hypercorrection, since the move is away from a more standard variant.
- Haeri argues that this is a result of hypercorrection.
- Example sentences
- And not even Strunk would prefer ‘We the persons’ in this case, where the joke is a hypercorrect application of one of Strunk's little peeves.
- In cases like terlet, this produces a form which is not only hypercorrect, but also in fact non-existent in the more prestigious form of speech.
Definición de hypercorrection en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan