(Of liquids) not forming a homogeneous mixture when added together: water is immiscible with suntan oil
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- They are immiscible with many organic solvents, particularly linear hydrocarbons and alicyclics like cyclopentane, so can be combined either with water or with an organic solvent to form a two-phase system.
- Oil and water are immiscible liquids, but a temporary emulsion may be formed by a brisk shaking of the liquids.
- We searched for immiscible liquid phases in monolayers of two different ternary lipid mixtures.
late 17th century: from late Latin immiscibilis, from in- 'not' + miscibilis (see miscible).
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Familiar examples are the miscibility of alcohol and water and the immiscibility of oil and water, which can be explained by intermolecular interactions.
- The non-polar groups prefer to interact with each other, and exclude water from these regions, leading to immiscibility.
- Two processes can lead to the concentration of valuable commodities: liquid immiscibility and fractional crystallization.
Definición de immiscible en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional