Pronunciación: /inˈkrēs /
- Become or make greater in size, amount, intensity, or degree: [no object]: car use is increasing at an alarming rate [with object]: we are aiming to increase awareness of social issues (as adjective increasing) the increasing numbers of studentsMás ejemplos en oraciones
grow, get bigger, get larger, enlarge, expand, swell; rise, climb, escalate, soar, surge, rocket, shoot up, spiral; intensify, strengthen, extend, heighten, stretch, spread, widen; multiply, snowball, mushroom, proliferate, balloon, build up, mount up, pile up, accrue, accumulate• literary waxaugment, supplement, top up, build up, extend, raise, swell, inflate; magnify, maximize, intensify, strengthen, heighten, amplify
- They had the choice of increasing the size of the dairy herd or changing the system completely.
- The operators are reducing the amount they pay out and increasing the amount they take in.
- The core of the movement has been increasing in size and in depth of knowledge.
Pronunciación: /ˈinˌkrēs /Volver al principio
- An instance of growing or making greater: an increase from sixteen to eighteen clubs some increase in inflationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- No money was available to cover pay rises, and if increases were given jobs could be lost.
- The union has asked for the increase to counter the rise in council tax and house prices in the city.
- This scenario would probably give rise to gradual increases in geothermal gradient.
on the increase
- Becoming greater, more common, or more frequent.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- It's a disease that is more common than you might think - and it's on the increase.
- One of the reasons, of course, is that fraud is on the increase and that affects the rest of us who end up having to pay higher premiums as a result.
- It is not known whether it is on the increase or not, but it is being reported more frequently.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The beam from the inside was increasable, and he saw what the enemy's last sight would be if completely engulfed by the beam.
- The use of such increasable volume disposable bags provided with a collar is considerably less expensive than the cost of disposable or single-use bottles.
- Initial draft is 16.5 meters increasable to 17.5 meters.
Middle English (formerly also as encrease): from Old French encreistre, from Latin increscere, from in- 'into' + crescere 'grow'.