- 1 [attributive] Single; separate: individual tiny flowersMás ejemplos en oraciones
- There are so many wonderful performances here, it would be pointless to single out individual cast members for praise.
- The cast is really rather too large to single any one member out for individual comment.
- Separate individual competitions for men and women are scheduled and they will be divided into junior and senior groups.
- 2Of or for a particular person: the individual needs of the childrenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- We have different activities and approaches and we try and make individual care plans for each person.
- Research has shown that people reduce their use of health care after individual psychotherapy.
- They want each patient to be given an individual care plan tailored to their needs following rapid access to an expert diagnosis and assessment.
- 2.1Designed for use by one person: individual serving dishesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Its serving order and individual portions is Western and the use of the chopsticks is Oriental.
- You can make it in individual serving dishes for a special dessert or one big pan for everyone to dive into.
- The mainstay of our order was nigiri sushi (fish on individual portions of sushi rice).
- 2.2Characteristic of a particular person or thing: individual traits of styleMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This didactic function tended to diminish many characteristics of individual style.
- There are at least six different forms of lightning, each with their own individual characteristics and colours.
- However, all models will have their own individual body styles and dynamic characteristics.
- 2.3Having a striking or unusual character; original: she creates her own, highly individual, landscapesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- It's a great showcase of local talent and the perfect place to pick up an unusual and individual Christmas gift.
- York was once renowned for its individual shops selling unusual merchandise, that is what the visitors expect.
- I prefer things that are individual with a really interesting design aesthetic.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- 1A single human being as distinct from a group, class, or family: boat trips for parties and individualsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- You can be yourself, and the basis of unity is that you are a human being and an individual.
- Of course all references to groups are ultimately references to distinct individuals.
- When you look deeply inside you will find that we are all individuals and human beings.
- 1.1A single member of a class: they live in a group or as individuals, depending on the speciesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Most of the whales in the area during the hunt were large single individuals.
- With simple viability selection and random mating, the selection group is a single individual.
- Plants often fertilize themselves to at least some extent, so polyploid species can arise from a single individual.
- 1.2 [with adjective] • informal A person of a specified kind: the most selfish, egotistical individual I have ever metMás ejemplos en oraciones
- I've come to the conclusion that I am a selfish heartless individual.
- Bad manners are the outward sign of a seriously selfish individual.
- No right-thinking individual can ever be persuaded that hatred and hostility is an answer to anything.
late Middle English (in the sense 'indivisible'): from medieval Latin individualis, from Latin individuus, from in- 'not' + dividuus 'divisible' (from dividere 'to divide').