- For a short while, the police continued to insist that they had thwarted an armed insurrection.
- Most of the uprisings were local insurrections against specific circumstances - usually the building of a castle or the exactions of a local Norman lord.
- One sector, led by the Ministry of Education and the Mayor of Caracas, called for a popular insurrection to defend the government.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- Almost 40 years after its initial release it has tremendous resonance because it demonstrates the modus operandi of contemporary colonial oppression and reveals what gives rise to and fuels a nationalist insurrectionary movement.
- The demands for moral reform were also directed at an incomprehensible, and apparently subversive and insurrectionary, urban culture that actually intensified through attempts at repression and prohibition.
- The insurrectionary municipal government sought to prevent a confrontation with the powers, but it was nevertheless committed to the unilateral abolition of the Foreign Concessions, and the threat remained.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- As far as the Empire was concerned, Gandhi was a troublemaker, an insurrectionist, and a traitor to the Empire.
- This was possible because of the efforts of the Philippine insurrectionists, who controlled most of the island.
- Unlike insurrectionists who resist government because it is repressive, vigilantes ‘take arms to do the government's work because the authorities are not repressive enough.’
surge from Late Middle English:
Early examples of surge mean a fountain or stream, with the verb meaning ‘rise and fall on the waves’, and ‘swell with great force’. The word comes from Latin surgere ‘to rise’, found also in resurrection (Middle English) ‘to rise again’, and insurrection (Late Middle English) ‘to rise up’.
Palabras que riman con insurrectionabjection, affection, circumspection, collection, complexion, confection, connection, convection, correction, defection, deflection, dejection, detection, direction, ejection, election, genuflection, imperfection, infection, inflection, injection, inspection, interconnection, interjection, intersection, introspection, lection, misdirection, objection, perfection, predilection, projection, protection, refection, reflection, rejection, resurrection, retrospection, section, selection, subjection, transection, vivisection
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: in·sur·rec·tion
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.