Say or recite with little rise and fall of the pitch of the voice: he intoned a short Latin prayer [with direct speech]: “All rise,” intoned the usher
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When they start singing, the bishop intones a Gregorian style chant that sounds both orthodox and Arab and the choir provides a deep rhythmic descant that is unmistakably African.
- He collects his coins, intones a blessing and, his voice rising and his eyes large and wide, he completes his tale, in which the baby speaks and saves the hermit, who falls in love with the young woman.
- He heard her voice intoning something from inside.
late 15th century (originally as entone): from Old French entoner or medieval Latin intonare, from in- 'into' + Latin tonus 'tone'.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- She clawed at the robes of the intoners, all the while screaming, ‘Give her back!’