- 1Not even or balanced in shape or arrangement: her features were too irregularMás ejemplos en oraciones
- This irregular arrangement of atoms not only defines a substance as glass, but also determines several of its properties.
- Each panel features an elongated, irregular rectangle painted in acrylic in red, blue or black against a contrasting hue.
- It is not that Thomas deliberately creates irregular shapes.
- 1.1Occurring at uneven or varying rates or intervals: an irregular heartbeatMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Income can be withdrawn at irregular intervals to suit individual circumstances as long as the payments are in accordance with the above limits.
- The rhythm is irregular, and the rate can vary or become sinus bradycardia because of the long pauses.
- At the northwest corner, three to four people smoked at irregular intervals.
- 1.2 Botany (Of a flower) having the petals differing in size and shape; zygomorphic.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The only specimen of P. ramispina bears a few small, irregular branches, but is otherwise similar to E. siniansis; it does not merit a separate taxon.
- The fasciated stem extended in one plane, and the phyllotaxy of floral primordia was irregular.
- This is a list of species found on this site with irregular flowers.
- 2Contrary to the rules or to that which is normal or established: they were questioned about their involvement in irregular financial dealingsMás ejemplos en oraciones
- However, this was found in contradiction of OUSU rules, necessitating an irregular by-election to be held via an extraordinary meeting of the Postgraduate Assembly.
- Indicated if labour is established but the contractions are of irregular intensity or duration.
- The gentle formality of the house contrasts strongly with its irregular context and neighbouring suburban dwellings, but it does have precedents in New Zealand.
- 2.1 [attributive] (Of troops) not belonging to regular or established army units.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- As the theatre of war moved south, so did the smallpox, primarily affecting civilians, camp followers, and irregular troops in both armies.
- Not only did he understand the new tactics, he was also able to put them into practice using a smaller army made up of irregular troops.
- In fact, regular as well as irregular troops opposed the US in many of the conflicts Boot cites.
- 2.2 Grammar (Of a verb or other word) having inflections that do not conform to the usual rules.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The questions required knowledge of some words, but also of an irregular verb form and some grammatical terminology.
- In some irregular verbs, these functions are served by different forms.
- Note that ‘to spy’ is always an irregular verb, only the third person form resembles the infinitive.
sustantivo(usually irregulars) Volver al principio
- 1A member of an irregular military force.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Filipino operational center of gravity was the ability to sustain its force of 100,000 irregulars in the field.
- While repeating the Pentagon line that these irregulars were ‘forced to fight,’ Wallace acknowledged indirectly that the US military faces a hostile population.
- Amitav Ghosh spent many weeks, at great personal risk, with the irregulars fighting the military regime in Burma.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There are only steps at the very steepest points and even these are built irregularly and unevenly.
- I breathed irregularly, occasionally hiccuping in my attempts to stop crying.
- The windows are irregularly shaped and appear from the outside to be haphazardly placed.
late Middle English (in the sense 'not conforming to rule [especially that of the Church]'): via Old French from medieval Latin irregularis, from in- 'not' + regularis (see regular).