- (In Afghanistan) a tribal council. A grand tribal council (loya jirga) presently has a legislative function in the country.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Pushtun tradition also includes the convening of the tribal council also known as jirga to resolve major issues.
- After the welcoming ceremony, he spoke at the jirga - the council of elders - which met inside the village mosque.
- Yesterday, after 36 hours of volatile discussions, a jirga or traditional council, including 100 different groups had reached a fragile agreement.
mid 19th century: Pashto, 'council, assembly'. Loya jirga is from Pashto, from loya 'great, grand' and jirga.
Más definiciones de jirgaDefinición de jirga en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional