1(Of a ship) having temporary makeshift rigging.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- She was still scarred after her encounters with icebergs so proper repairs to her jury-rigged jib boom were a top priority.
- Dwarfed by the boat's jury-rigged splashboard, Lee had pushed to a handy boat length lead at the finish and will qualify for the final.
- He is closing on the last remaining competitor who, in panic, redoubles his efforts to coax his own damaged, worn out and jury-rigged boat faster, causing it to break up entirely and sink.
1.1chiefly North American Makeshift; improvised: jury-rigged classrooms in gymnasiums
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- But no football club in the land can really be expected to survive long-term at a jury-rigged stadium with a couple of temporary stands squeezed into the corner and supporters separated from the action by the width of a running track.
- Reynolds, in particular, makes use of this jury-rigged stringer system to alert his readers to articles that would otherwise go unnoticed.
- But enough of this - even though I'm sitting here with a jury-rigged computer I'm about to get back into the swing of things.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- The engineers jury-rigged chill water, tying in fittings with a fire hose to restore air conditioning.
- She was taken there by the wheezing and heroic efforts of a very old outboard motor, jury-rigged over her stern, and by the cheerful encouragement of five children, one woman and a man, and she knew immediately that she'd found her place.
- In real life, of course, a brigantine's crew would have either fixed or jury-rigged a rudder at sea (far more difficult repairs were routinely made afloat) or simply steered the ship with her sails.
Late 18th century: jury perhaps based on Old French ajurie 'aid'.
For editors and proofreaders
División en sílabas: ju·ry-rigged
Definición de jury-rigged en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda