Definición de kingdom en inglés:
1A country, state, or territory ruled by a king or queen.
- Bright lights illuminate a picture of the ancient kingdom's king and queen, and Xinjiang musical instruments hang on the wall.
- The story of Oedipus begins north of ancient Athens, in the kingdom of Thebes where King Laius and his wife, Jocasta, had a son.
- Her mother was a powerful queen who ruled the kingdom with an iron fist.
1.1A realm associated with or regarded as being under the control of a particular person or thing: the kingdom of dreams
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- And at no point have I heard that the symphonic tunes of a mellow saxophone are particularly associated with the Mormon kingdom.
- She instantly let out of a wow forming a big O with her mouth, like I am not supposed to be able to make friends outside the little kingdom of my employer.
- The numbing effect of this is that we are at risk of becoming, as Manning once said, subjects in the kingdom of nothingness.
2The spiritual reign or authority of God.
- In its religious sense, kingdom is ‘the spiritual reign or authority of God.’
- That said, obviously the kingdom of God is a spiritual kingdom.
- Its inward sign is the true spiritual kingdom: the covenantal relationship between God and believers.
2.1The rule of God or Christ in a future age.
- You see, I think that the ultimate triumph of the Cross, of good over evil, will only be complete in the future kingdom of God.
- We preach that in Christ and by Christ the kingdom of God has come and the day of salvation has arrived.
- Until then, let us be content - no, let us rejoice - to labour and toil for the kingdom of Christ.
2.2Heaven as the abode of God and of the faithful after death.
- Drawing death's sting, you opened the kingdom of heaven to all who would believe.
- Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father in heaven.
- From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.
3Each of the three traditional divisions (animal, vegetable, and mineral) in which natural objects have conventionally been classified.
- As for keeping their numbers down, leave it to mother nature, she'll sort out the animal kingdom the natural way.
- This implies that everything shares the same energy, allowing us to treat human diseases with medicines from plant, mineral and animal kingdoms from around the world.
- Until comparatively recently, living organisms were divided into two kingdoms: animal and vegetable, or the Animalia and the Plantae.
3.1 Biology The highest category in taxonomic classification.
- On the bright side, if students can get into the vertebrate examples discussed here, maybe some will plumb deeper into other phyla and kingdoms.
- He developed the system whereby every known living creature is assigned to a kingdom, phylum, class, order, family, genus, and species.
- In a cursory survey of life it is obvious that a vast number of species spanning most kingdoms and phyla have features that are teleologically designed to deal out disease and/or death.
come into (or to) one's kingdom
- Achieve recognition or supremacy.Example sentences
- Continuing with Millar's book, one of the most striking passages early on is the almost random way he seems to have come into his kingdom.
- He's still quite raw, executing his wonders - those leaps, for instance, which are both thistledown light and precisely chiseled - with the air of a youthful prince or god who hasn't fully realized he's about to come into his kingdom.
till (or until) kingdom come
- informal Forever.Example sentences
- If you leaf through the New Testament from here until kingdom come, you won't find a parable about the good Australian Industrial Relations Commissioner.
- And present it in such a way that they will avoid challenging you until kingdom come!
- We could list all our deficits from now until kingdom come, but I think that the experience in Limerick in particular has shown, that the provision of a university is key!
to kingdom come
- informal Into the next world: the truck was blown to kingdom comeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- And as such, it does raise questions about how far a non-ironic war movie can go in asking for peace and understanding while also glorifying the act of blowing the mysterious enemy to kingdom come.
- Both sides, but especially the Italians, used picks, shovels, and dynamite to tunnel deep underneath enemy camps and then blast their adversaries to kingdom come.
- Prisoners on Thailand's death row are doubtless delighted to know that they are now likely to be killed by lethal injection rather than strapped blindfolded to a pole and blasted to kingdom come by a mounted machine gun.