- He cooks by heating pans over a coal fire, while dozens of candles and a paraffin lamp provide him with light.
- Now they were in a small corridor, dimly lit by burning lamps.
- As it gets dark, behind the windows partly blocked by sandbags, they light a paraffin lamp.
- Heat treatment, using an infra-red lamp is an option.
- Light therapy, with ultraviolet A or B, is available at specialist hospital clinics or with lamps that can be used at home.
- Haircolor experts will often use moist heat or infra-red lamps to speed up the bleaching process and minimize the potential bleach damage.
- The poet lights a lamp to the source of all light.
- Whoever despaired of the world, he, at least, kept the lamp of hope burning brightly in his soul.
- The lamp of experience ordinarily guides our footsteps, but this year the lamp is dim.
- Example sentences
- A second schoolboy lay fighting for his life last night after apparently being shot by ‘lampers’.
- Detectives investigating the shooting of a Yorkshire schoolboy aged 12 in an area popular with night-time hunters known as ‘lampers’ have arrested and bailed four men.
- Police are working on the theory the boy was accidentally shot by ‘lampers’ - night-time hunters who pursue animals with guns and bright lights.
- Example sentences
- After the meal, the boys slug back a last tin of water and scatter into the warm, lampless dark.
- Later, I found myself, down at 30m in the gloom, navigating by means of a small back-up torch, and dragging around a very frightened, lampless buddy, who would not ease his tight grip on my arm.
- Lampless, they climbed a ladder into the dusty hay-rick, and nestled in a corner under the eaves.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan
Entrada del diccionario de Inglés británico e internacional
verbo[with object] chiefly Northern English
early 19th century: of uncertain origin; perhaps related to lam1.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.