- A device that generates an intense beam of coherent monochromatic light (or other electromagnetic radiation) by stimulated emission of photons from excited atoms or molecules. Lasers are used in drilling and cutting, alignment and guidance, and in surgery; the optical properties are exploited in holography, reading bar codes, and in recording and playing compact discs.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- This lattice can trap the neutral atoms in potential wells because the electric fields of the lasers induce a dipole moment in the atom.
- It has led to computers, lasers and nuclear reactors, and it tells us why the Sun shines and why the ground beneath our feet is solid.
- The structure has potential for the development of active optical devices such as lasers and passive components.
1960s: acronym from light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation, on the pattern of maser.
Más definiciones de laserDefinición de laser en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional