1A discharge, especially temporary, of a worker or workers.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- The temporary lay-off of over 650 workers at the mines will begin on November 17 and 50 workers will be kept on for essential maintenance.
- A spokesman said lay-offs among temporary staff were part of the cyclical nature of the business and that the 350 permanent employees had not been affected.
- ‘You would imagine that some of the negative speculation about the market and the recent spate of lay-offs would have had some effect, but so far there is no sign of it,’ he said.
1.1A period when a layoff is in force.
2A period during which someone does not take part in a customary sport or other activity: they needed to rehabilitate injuries or just brush up after long layoffs
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The British number one made his comeback last month after a lengthy lay-off with a shoulder injury, but lost his first two matches back on the tour.
- Despite a lengthy lay-off from the sport, he showed that he has lost none of his speed or punching technique.
- Injury in South Africa was yet another cruel blow to a young man who had fought back from a long period of enforced lay-off through injury.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda