- Construction of levees and embankments prevents the floodplain from performing this function and transfers the problem further downstream to areas which were not subject to flooding.
- Engineers determined that the levees bordering the Mississippi River as it passes through the city were sufficient to withstand any surge produced by an SPH.
- Yet the marketplace remained relatively calm, appreciating that the authorities were apparently still operating on the dykes, dams and levees up the river.
- Marshland, containing cattails, bulrushes, and other reeds, would have been limited to the borders of the wooded ridges of levees, where the water level was consistently below the surface.
- Transects were separated by 50 paces and most transects extended entirely over the attenuated crown of the natural levee of each forest avoiding any noticeable elevation gradient.
- Yet as the levees channeled the water, they also kept fresh soil carried by the muddy Mississippi from replenishing the sediments that made up the lowlands.
early 18th century (originally US): from French levée, feminine past participle of lever 'to lift'.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Canadá
Muy popular en Australia
Muy popular en Malasia
Muy popular en Pakistán
late 17th century (denoting a reception of visitors after rising from bed): from French levé, variant of lever 'rising', from the verb lever.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.