- 1A drink poured out as an offering to a deity.Más ejemplos en oraciones
liquid offering, offering, tribute, oblation
- Possibly these cups were used in the performance of cult, such as feasting by the worshippers and offering of libations to the deities.
- When one pagan group was ordered to dismantle a totem pole over which libations were poured, they simply placed a bust of Lenin on top and continued as before.
- All libations denote a sacrifice to the deity, but the one in the meal-context denotes a sharing with the god as all partake of the same drinking of wine.
- 1.1The pouring out of a drink as an offering to a deity: gin was poured in libationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Other participants perform libation using Scotch or other similar liquor by pouring from a ram's horn.
- Wine and beer were frequently offered, among many other foods and drinks, to deities as part of the cult, and the practice of libation was widespread in temple ritual.
- When we refer to ‘they made a libation of water’, a libation is simply pouring a drink offering.
- 1.2 • humorous A drink: they steadily worked their way through free food and the occasional libationMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Conveniently, brother John Paul's favourite football team are sponsored by his favourite libation.
- Anyone remotely familiar with Germany knows that beer, wine, and other libations, such as Most and Korn, play a significant role in its culture and society.
- Please allow us to suggest some crowd-pleasing libations based on your menu selections as well as budget and palate preferences.
late Middle English: from Latin libatio(n-), from libare 'pour as an offering'.