verbo (lithifies, lithifying, lithified)[with object] chiefly Geology
Transform (a sediment or other material) into stone.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- Another strong argument against the mammoth death-in-the-Flood hypothesis is that the Beringian animals are buried in unconsolidated surficial sediments overlying lithified sedimentary rocks.
- Low-strain deformation of many natural rocks, both unlithified sediments and lithified sedimentary rocks, occurs by strain localization in dilatant joints or in shear bands that can dilate or compact.
- This sediment was locally lithified to form thin hard grounds, presumably at times of non-sedimentation or significantly reduced sedimentation.
- Oraciones de ejemplo
- These differences could be related to variation in degree of lithification of the overburden, causing it to collapse vertically rather than with more gentle downsagging.
- An alternative mechanism involves lithification by magnesium calcite, aragonite, or dolomite brought about by the subsurface mixing of sea water with fresh waters draining from the land.
- Bands of sheared sandstone, mudstone, and conglomerate locally form broken units indicating deformation prior to full lithification of sediment, consistent with an accretionary complex origin.
Late 19th century: from Greek lithos 'stone' + -fy.
Definición de lithify en:
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda