Definición de loggerhead en inglés:
1 (also loggerhead turtle) A reddish-brown turtle with a very large head, occurring chiefly in warm seas.
- Caretta caretta, family Cheloniidae
- The second turtle, a loggerhead turtle, was taken in by aquarium personnel when it was still a hatchling.
- Both the leatherback and loggerhead turtle could face extinction within 10 to 30 years if international fishing practices are not dramatically altered, he added.
- Both the green turtle, which can weigh up to 205 kilograms, and the loggerhead turtle are now classified as endangered by the International Union for the Conservation of Nature.
2 (also loggerhead shrike) A widespread North American shrike, having mainly gray plumage with a black eyestripe, wings, and tail.
- Lanius ludovicianus, family Laniidae
- We also provided a $10,800 grant to fund the development and initial implementation of a Candidate Conservation Agreement for the Santa Catalina Island fox and the island loggerhead shrike.
- Joshua trees are monicots, grotesquely oversized lilies, with contorted limbs and trunks armored with spikes, which are used skillfully by the loggerhead shrike to impale its prey.
- The young also cross paths with the loggerhead shrike, a bird that impales its prey before eating.
- In stubborn dispute or disagreement: council was at loggerheads with the government over the grant allocation[possibly a use of loggerhead in the late 17th-century sense 'long-handled iron instrument for heating liquids and tar', perhaps wielded as a weapon]Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The two men had been at loggerheads over a long-running dispute about devolution.
- The two countries have long been at loggerheads over their maritime boundary, a dispute that centres on the ownership of Mbana Island, in the Gulf of Guinea.
- These North American basketball stars are at loggerheads as their teams prepare for tomorrow's Superbowl clash.
Words that rhyme with loggerheadhammerhead
Definición de loggerhead en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan