sustantivo (plural lotteries)
- 1A means of raising money by selling numbered tickets and giving prizes to the holders of numbers drawn at random.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In some countries that hold state lotteries, tickets with number 13 will never be sold.
- All the Eastern States now are running lotteries to raise money in place of taxes.
- Many state lotteries, particularly in Europe, are selling tickets online, and more will join.
- 1.1 [in singular] A process or thing whose success or outcome is governed by chance: the lottery of lifeMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Student music can often seem like a bit of a gamble, if not a complete lottery, as far as an evening out is concerned.
- After all success with Atlantic Salmon is still the biggest lottery in fishing.
- After that, it is a complete and utter lottery, but Spurs are a good cup team, and definitely worth a pound or two.
mid 16th century: probably from Dutch loterij, from lot 'lot'.