sustantivo (plural lotteries)
1A means of raising money by selling numbered tickets and giving prizes to the holders of numbers drawn at random.
Oraciones de ejemplo
- In some countries that hold state lotteries, tickets with number 13 will never be sold.
- All the Eastern States now are running lotteries to raise money in place of taxes.
- Many state lotteries, particularly in Europe, are selling tickets online, and more will join.
1.1 [in singular] A process or thing whose success or outcome is governed by chance: the lottery of life
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Student music can often seem like a bit of a gamble, if not a complete lottery, as far as an evening out is concerned.
- After all success with Atlantic Salmon is still the biggest lottery in fishing.
- After that, it is a complete and utter lottery, but Spurs are a good cup team, and definitely worth a pound or two.
Mid 16th century: probably from Dutch loterij, from lot 'lot'.
Palabras que riman con lotteryGodwottery, pottery, tottery
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.
Muy popular en Reino Unido
Muy popular en Australia
= de moda