- 1Of or denoting the sex that produces small, typically motile gametes, especially spermatozoa, with which a female may be fertilized or inseminated to produce offspring: male childrenMás ejemplos en oraciones
- The chromosome from the father determines whether the offspring becomes male or female.
- Thus, the benefits to offspring of male incubation may be reduced in various species.
- Some females even adjust the ratio of male to female offspring depending on the circumstances.
- 1.1Relating to or characteristic of men or male animals; masculine: male unemployment a deep male voiceMás ejemplos en oraciones
- We women in business are measured by how many male characteristics we have.
- The slow release of testosterone ensures that sex drive and male characteristics, such as body hair, are maintained.
- We know also that in animals the male hormone, testosterone, is related to dominance and aggression.
- 1.2(Of a plant or flower) bearing stamens but lacking functional pistils.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The pollen grain is the male gametophytic phase of flowering plants.
- The path of pollen tubes has not been investigated, as male flowers were not available.
- Live oaks produce male flowers called catkins that bloom in hanging clusters.
- 1.3(Of parts of machinery, fittings, etc.) designed to enter, fill, or fit inside a corresponding female part.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The fitting also includes a male end portion configured to engage female threads on the hub of the receptacle.
- Cut another small piece of pipe and attach male adapters on both ends.
- This audio cable with male connectors on each end is used with ISDN primary rate interfaces.
sustantivoVolver al principio
- A male person, plant, or animal: the audience consisted of adult males the male of the speciesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- Common chimpanzees are very social animals, with males forming the closest bonds.
- Adult natal males were never observed to achieve intromission, so all complete copulations involved immigrants.
- Interactions among newborns, mothers, and adult males are rarely observed but are needed to distinguish between these hypotheses.
- Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The distinction feminists have made between maleness and masculinity provides a clue and an analogy.
- They believe that maleness is a kind of original sin.
- I wanted to welcome men back to their wonderful maleness.
late Middle English: from Old French masle, from Latin masculus, from mas 'a male'.