A large ground-dwelling Australasian and Southeast Asian bird that builds a large mound of debris to incubate its eggs by the heat of decomposition. Also called mound builder.
- Family Megapodiidae (the megapode family), which includes the brush turkeys and mallee fowl
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Instead of using body heat to directly incubate eggs, megapodes passively incubate eggs.
- What sets megapodes apart from these game birds is their extraordinary breeding behavior.
- Then there's the curious megapode, a big-footed bird that is built like a chicken and emits a cry they say sounds just like a cat's.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Megapodius (genus name), from mega- 'large' + Greek pous, pod- 'foot'.
Definición de megapode en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional