(also metate stone)
- (In Central America) a flat or slightly hollowed oblong stone on which materials such as grain and cocoa are ground using a smaller stone.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- There was a long tradition of amazing stonework in ancient Costa Rica, which includes spectacular ‘flying panel’ metates [corn-grinding flats] and other objects carved of basalt.
- Ground or pecked stone tools include hammerstones, anvils, cobble manos, metates, and a possible net sinker.
- In indigenous villages, women often make the tortillas the traditional way by grinding corn with a rounded pestle on a flat lava stone called a piedra or metate and baking the flat corn disks on a dry, clay platter known as a comal.
from American Spanish, from Nahuatl métatl.
Más definiciones de metateDefinición de metate en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional