Definición de midge en inglés:
1A small two-winged fly that is often seen in swarms near water or marshy areas where it breeds.
- The families Chironomidae (the nonbiting midges), and Ceratopogonidae (see biting midge): numerous species
- Included among the invertebrates are moth flies, wood gnats, midges, punkies, mosquitoes, marsh beetles, and beelike or wasplike syrphid flies.
- Despite balmy temperatures, you'll need to pack pants, long-sleeved shirts, and, yes, even socks, to fend off the hordes of biting sand fleas and midges on the Tuichi River.
- A new era of chromosome research began with the detection of giant chromosomes in tissues of Dipteran insects, the midges Bibio and Chironomus, and the fruit fly Drosophila.
1.1 [with modifier] Any of a number of small flies whose larvae can be pests of plants, typically producing galls or damaging leaves.
- Global warming will result in an explosion of the dreaded west coast midge, delegates to a conference in Glasgow will be told this month.
- The trio have been cycling around 80 miles per day and they have camped overnight along the way, battling torrential rain, thunderstorms and the infamous swarms of Scottish midges.
Definición de midge en:
- Inglés británico e internacional dictionary
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia