Definición de mountebank en inglés:
- He has been described as a ‘a mountebank, a charlatan and a scribbler’ by one author, although others see him as a proto-social scientist.
- He was, in fact, a charlatan, a mountebank, a zany without any shame or dignity.
- Epithets of ‘statesman’ were thrown around, but charlatan or mountebank might have been more appropriate.
- Additional evidence indicates that it was a term used among medical mountebanks in Tudor times.
- The word toady comes from ‘toad-eater’: a quack's or mountebank's assistant who would eat, or pretend to eat, a toad so he could be cured by the medicine man.
- There had always been mountebanks and charlatans operating in the public squares, but they now dominated the marketplace.
late 16th century: from Italian montambanco, from the imperative phrase monta in banco! 'climb on the bench!' (with allusion to the raised platform used to attract an audience).
- Example sentences
- So some two decades later he set out to transform the securities industry with a report that he hoped would expose its mountebankery and lead to a miraculous transformation.
- There was one explanation as to why he was able to pass off mountebankery as art for so long; the myth of impressionism.
- This is not a business where mountebankery is to be encouraged.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.