- 1A very fine slender piece of metal with a point at one end and a hole or eye for thread at the other, used in sewing.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He watched her thread her needle again, her slender, graceful fingers never erring despite the inadequate light.
- After the nurse stitched the wound with a sewing needle and cotton thread, the mother and baby were transferred and treated by Dr Valle and his colleagues at the nearest hospital.
- She found 3 different colored spools of cloth, a few basic colors of thread, a sewing needle, a cheap pair of shoes, and a comb.
- 2Something resembling a sewing needle in use, shape, or appearance, especially:Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Because the birds were moving so fast and the clouds were so still, they appear like tiny needles.
- Without warning, one of the attackers stuck a sharp instrument that resembled a needle into his upper left arm.
- The practitioner pushes a hollow needle through a body part, then inserts a piece of jewelry into the hole.
- 2.1An instrument used in crafts such as crochet, knitting, and lacemaking.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Last night I had to restart my hat because when I joined the knitting on the circular needles, I accidentally left a twist in it, and it was unfixable.
- I seem to have finally mastered knitting on two circular needles!
- At the same time, they're unlikely to be ready for full-blown knitting on needles.
- 2.2The pointed hollow end of a hypodermic syringe.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- He paid a $200 fine for possession of hypodermic syringes, needles, and other paraphernalia.
- To give the epidural anaesthetic, the anaesthetist passes a hollow needle into a small space just below the spinal cord.
- Examples include the use of hypodermic needles designed to protect healthcare workers against exposure to HIV from needle sticks.
- 2.3A very fine metal spike used in acupuncture.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- In acupuncture treatment, fine needles are inserted into the skin at particular locations to alleviate the patient's symptoms.
- Acupuncturists can use as many as nine types of Acupuncture needles, though only six are commonly used today.
- Both the acupuncture needles were therefore located near the proximal and distal ends of the implanted silicone tubes, respectively.
- 2.4A thin pointer on a dial, compass, or other instrument.
- 2.5An etching tool.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The hard zinc plate, the surgicality of the etching needle and processes involving machines resist any illusion of a veridical access to the world or one's own emotions.
- Then the image is incised into the wax or resin layer with an etching needle.
- In her last years she continued with her art, though she gave up etching due to her loss of the visual acuity required by the etching needle.
- 2.6The sharp, stiff, slender leaf of a fir or pine tree.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The conifers are a particularly interesting group to study as unlike cereals their leaves or needles are retained for several years.
- Usually 1 to 2 cm thick, it is composed of needles, leaves, twigs, and is dark brown in colour.
- A large volume of soil can thus be sampled by analyzing appropriate parts of a tree, such as twigs, needles, leaves, or bark.
- 2.8A stylus used to play phonograph records.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- When the friend forgot to bring him his needles for the record player Chad attempted to re-enter the club.
- The needle broke on my record player eighteen months ago and I haven't been able to get a new one yet.
- They are something I, as a member of Parliament, have been on about, to the point of being like a needle in a cracked record, for many, many years.
- 2.10A steel pin that explodes the cartridge of a breech-loading gun.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Sailors who have only used Jasons pistols with the more common stainless steel needles are not at risk from this type of exposure.
verbo[with object] Volver al principio
- 1Prick or pierce (something) with or as if with a needle: dust needled his eyesMás ejemplos en oraciones
- There have been calls for the medical profession to be better informed about how to treat farmers who've accidentally needled themselves with the OJD vaccine.
- On our walk, multi-hued birds fluttered overhead in the green forest and deodar trees tall as totems from some pantheon of forest gods vied with the pines to needle the sky.
- We will have the similar effect by needling the same acupoint no matter on the same or a different subject.
- 2 • informal Provoke or annoy (someone), especially by continual criticism or questioning: I just said that to Charlie to needle himMás ejemplos en oraciones
goad, provoke, bait, taunt, pester, harass, prick, prod, sting, tease; irritate, annoy, anger, vex, irk, nettle, pique, exasperate, infuriate, get on someone's nerves, rub the wrong way, ruffle someone's feathers, try someone's patience• informal aggravate, rile, niggle, get in someone's hair, hassle, get to, bug, miff, peeve, get/put someone's back up, get under someone's skin, get at, ride
- But I would rather be needled by a performer than bored.
- So, for all those that think we are being racist by needling the French over this, I'd like to assure you of two things.
- Throughout our conversation, as one veteran good-naturedly needles the other, all the teen-angst details come out.
the eye of a needle
- A tiny aperture or opening through which it would seem impossible to pass (especially with reference to Matt. 19:24).Más ejemplos en oraciones
- The Christian bible quotes Jesus as saying it would be easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than it is for a rich man to enter heaven; or then there's the Irish saying: ‘There are no pockets in a shroud’.
- A supersized prole will pass through the eye of a needle before anyone not in the Party will be admitted to heaven.
- I mean, if a camel can pass through the eye of a needle, anything's possible, right?
give someone the needle
- • informal Provoke or annoy someone: Lady gives him the needle because she knows it isn’t trueMás ejemplos en oraciones
- They'll get you after another one and give you the needle without a second thought about it.
- No need to give me the needle just because someone's given it to you.
a needle in a haystack
- Something that is almost impossible to find because it is hidden among so many other things.Más ejemplos en oraciones
- However, that would be nearly as impossible as finding a needle in a haystack.
- Unfortunately, we are looking for a needle in a haystack and you cannot hope to be able to prevent any such outrage as this.
- He walked bulls through china shops, contrived an actual change of horses in mid-stream during an election campaign and, to publicise a piece of real estate, spent 10 days searching for a needle in a haystack.
Old English nǣdl, of Germanic origin; related to Dutch naald and German Nadel, from an Indo-European root shared by Latin nere 'to spin' and Greek nēma 'thread'.