Definición de nonplussed en inglés:
- The Chief continues to act confused, nonplussed and bewildered but after giving the matter some serious thought, he suddenly remembers the details of a conversation he once had with the Apache.
- I was somewhat nonplussed and ended up saying ‘I'm rather surprised they even felt the need to ask.’
- When, the night of his gig, the emcee announced ‘Here's Rodney Dangerfield,’ a somewhat nonplussed audience looked at him with confusion.
- Felix is nonplussed by the pills, but others are less thrilled about the daily regime.
- But he remained nonplussed in the face of his wife's cynicism.
- ‘No, thank you,’ I replied, to all appearances nonplussed but inwardly raging.
In standard use, nonplussed means ‘surprised and confused’: the hostility of the new neighbor’s refusal left Mrs. Walker nonplussed. In North American English, a new use has developed in recent years, meaning ‘unperturbed’—more or less the opposite of its traditional meaning: hoping to disguise his confusion, he tried to appear nonplussed. This new use probably arose on the assumption that non- was the normal negative prefix and must therefore have a negative meaning. It is not considered part of standard English.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.