- An insect of a large family of strikingly marked butterflies that have small forelegs not used for walking, including many familiar butterflies of temperate regions, such as the monarch and viceroy.
Más ejemplos en oraciones
- Family Nymphalidae (sometimes restricted to those that are now usually placed in the subfamily Nymphalinae)
- Our work includes representative taxa from all the main lineages of riodinids, lycaenids, and nymphalids.
- Furthermore, these gene duplications evolved after the split between the common ancestor of nymphalid and papilionid butterflies.
- Like many nymphalid, papilionid, and hesperiid butterflies, male H. bolina occupy and defend perching sites in forest clearings and along flight paths as a means of maximizing their encounters with receptive females.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Nymphalidae, from Latin nympha 'nymph'.
Más definiciones de nymphalidDefinición de nymphalid en:
- el diccionario Inglés británico e internacional