Definición de oil en inglés:
- In general, expect to change your mower's engine oil twice each year.
- Transportation via internal combustion engines that use gas and oil is responsible for more than 17 percent of the greenhouse gas emissions on the planet.
- To check the oil, you remove the dipstick, wipe off the oil, and reinsert the dipstick as far as it will go.
- If the railroad supervisor was negligent in overseeing the independent contractor who accidentally spilled oil into a river, whatever harm resulted should have been addressed in a civil proceeding.
- On the way home, their plane flies above a ship spilling oil into the sea.
- It is unusual to drill an oil well without a paleontologist onsite to determine when the desired oil-bearing rock layer has been reached.
- The last group includes energy food, including animal and plant oil, starch and wine.
- Three bottles of high quality essential oils infused into pure, skin-softening organic apricot kernel oil.
- Biodiesel is an alternative fuel that can be made out of anything from organic canola oil to used cooking grease from fast-food restaurants.
- Coal tar is available as an ointment, cream, lotion, shampoo, bath oil and soap.
- These substances include soap film, body secretions, skin, hair, bath oils, and dirt.
- You can use soap substitutes, bath oils and moisturising creams or ointments to soothe, smooth and hydrate the skin in the treatment of dry skin conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
- Many naturally occurring fats and oils consist of esters.
- Included among these compounds are acetaldehyde, ethyl acetate, and numerous other esters and fusel oils.
- They are chemical compounds which belong to the ‘fatty acid esters’ compounds of an oil and an alcohol.
- Blanding also paints landscapes and portraits in oil, acrylic, pastels and watercolor.
- The traditional painterly mediums of oil and watercolour remain the norm for the portraiture commissions.
- The paintings, oils on canvas, were large, and the paper works, also done in oil, were more painted than drawn.
verbo[with object] (often as adjective oiled) Volver al principio
- Place the balls onto a lightly oiled baking tray and bake them for about 20 minutes, so they are slightly browned.
- Lightly oil a 12-hole muffin tray then line each mould with a bacon rasher.
- After coupling to the coach, No. 823 was coaled manually and then had to reverse down the shed road to be oiled and greased for the return journey.
- Raúl rose slowly, flattening down his oiled hair with his right hand.
- From the ordinary men and women with oiled hair to those in ties and tuxedos in plush offices, everyone loves a good bite of fast food.
- Women with oiled and sheeny hair, combs thrust through their buns and intricate embroidered aprons tied round their waists, thronged the riverside bazaar.
The English word oil goes back to Latin oleum, which referred especially to olive oil. If someone sits up writing or reading until very late they are burning the midnight oil, an expression looking back to the days when the main source of artificial light would be an oil lamp. Oil paints are traditionally used for portraits, and since the early 20th century the unkind verdict that someone is no oil painting has been a way of saying that they are not attractive. Water and oil cannot be mixed. People who are incompatible may be described as being like oil and water together. In classical times, there was a belief among seamen—recorded by the Roman statesman and scholar Pliny the Elder ( ad 23–79)—that pouring oil into a stormy sea could calm the waves. This is probably what lies behind the proverbial expression pour oil on troubled waters, meaning to try to settle a disagreement by soothing those involved.
oil and water
- Used to refer to two elements, factors, or people that do not agree or blend together.Oraciones de ejemplo
- By trying to make it one, they have ended up with something akin to an attempt at mixing oil and water together.
- Ballads and nu metal bands go together like oil and water, don't they?
- Normally I would assume that tact and a blunt guy like Matt go together about as well as oil and water, but Matt's social graces come from a genuine wish to make everybody happy.
¿Qué te llama la atención de esta palabra o frase?
Los comentarios que no respeten nuestras Normas comunitarias podrían ser moderados o eliminados.